ARE YOU INTERESTED IN BECOMING A PROFESSIONAL SPEAKING COACH?
Own The Room trains executives and leaders at top companies to become more powerful communicators, managers, leaders, and Salespeople.
We are looking for outstanding professionals from any field who have a gift for teaching, and a passion for helping people learn.
Sound like you? If so, consider applying to become a Coach with Own The Room.
WHY BECOME A COACH WITH OWN THE ROOM?
Being an Own The Room Coach means:
- Work with some of the world’s best-known companies and organizations. Facebook, L’Oreal, and MIT are just a few of our many clients.
- Help countless professionals improve their careers and lives by giving them tools they can apply immediately. See our testimonials page to learn more about the impact we’ve made.
- Work with a diverse group of amazingly talented Coaches. Our team includes some of the top Coaches in the field: an Emmy-nominated writer, a former fitness champion, and many other fun, talented people from a range of fields and backgrounds. See our list of Coaches.
- Receive training in Own The Room’s proprietary trademarked methodology that builds skills in a supportive, creative, and fun environment.
- Different from other coaching and training companies, Own The Room provides the clients and organizes the workshops, so the only thing our Coaches have to do is what they do best: help people grow.
- Continue to grow as a Coach and as a person by learning from fellow Coaches and clients.
- Receive emails from clients thanking you for your help in preparing for that critical presentation to senior executives, engaging their staff at the last team meeting, or getting over a life-long fear of speaking to large groups.
- Have the flexibility to shape your schedule and your life. As a contractor Coach, you’ll have time to build your own business, explore your passion, or strategically plan your transition into a full-time Coaching career. Many of our Coaches spent years in other industries, but always knew that teaching and Coaching were their passions.
- Receive ongoing training in Own The Room’s methodology. All new Coaches will join our Coach Academy training program, which includes 6-weeks of virtual training and feedback and four days of in-person training and observations. During this training program, new Coaches will have multiple opportunities to practice teaching full classes under the guidance of experienced Coaches. We believe that the best way to learn is by doing.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- You love the topic of communication and public speaking, and have a passion for helping people.
- You have had real-life experience and success in business or another field. We are particularly interested in potential Coaches with professional experience in leadership, management, sales, media, and customer service. You can draw on real professional examples and stories, to be seen by our clients not just as a Coach, but as a peer. We work with very senior people, and the fact that all our coaches have had real-life success gives us credibility.
- You are an effective speaker, trainer, mentor or coach (either formal or informal). Although coaching and training may not be your full-time job right now, other people tell you that you shine in these areas.
- You have a terrific personality, are charismatic, can remember names, and can connect with people from diverse backgrounds.
- You have a positive outlook, good follow-through, and no drama.
- You are a lifelong learner, and you embrace feedback as a gift that helps you grow.
- You have mastered the English language and can deliver complex training programs in English. Native proficiency in another language is a plus.
- You are excited to learn and deliver training according to the Own The Room methodology. At the same time, you can innovate, think on your feet and react to unexpected obstacles, all while maintaining a sense of humor.
- We are particularly interested in Coaches with professional experience in leadership, management, sales, media, and customer service.
REQUIREMENTS FOR COACHES:
- Most Own The Room Coaches work as independent contractors, with the amount of work each month varying depending on many different factors. There may be opportunities for full-time employment if you are interested in helping the company in other ways in addition to Coaching.
- All Own The Room coaches have to teach our methodology at least 80% the same so we can ensure brand consistency and quality, but it should never be more than 90% the same. We don’t want robots. Each Coach brings some of her/his own ideas, stories and techniques to the training to make it customized and as magical an experience as possible for the clients. In the past, we have worked with experienced Coaches who struggled to adjust to our unique methodology; we are looking for those who can easily shift from one methodology to another. (Or as one of our Coaches said, “It’s like wrestling. I can do Freestyle or Greco-Roman. I have my old methodology and I can learn the Own The Room method. They are distinct, and I can switch between the two.")
- Travel is a frequent reality in our business. Coaches must be excited to travel on a monthly or sometimes even weekly basis.
- Coaches who can also sell Own The Room are especially valued. It’s not a requirement of the job, but we do have a sales incentive program for our Coaches who bring in new clients.
HOW DO I APPLY TO BE AN OWN THE ROOM COACH?
Candidates must complete the online application, including credentials, a short written statement explaining why you're interested in becoming a Sales Coach with Own The Room, and a 1-2 minute video that showcases your public speaking or training abilities. We encourage you to have fun with this video - use it to show us a little of your personality, use props, get creative. Please do not submit panel discussions or comedy sketches, as they don't give us a clear sense of your presenting & training ability. Our Coaching department reviews every video submission, so make sure what you send us showcases the talents you can bring as an Own The Room coach. Please allow 2-3 weeks for us to review your initial application materials and get back to you with next steps.
Qualified candidates will be invited for a 30-minute introductory interview to discuss your motivations, background, and answer any questions you have.
After the initial interview, final steps will include a sample lesson video, and a longer interview with multiple members of the team. There may be additional steps required depending on our needs.
"Own The Room coaches have a great talent for demystifying the act of public speaking. Their wisdom and expertise helped me to connect with an audience in a way I never had before and actually even enjoy it!"
Actress, Writer Molly Ringwald
“Bill’s Own The Room methodology has helped countless speakers play at a higher level.”
Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook and New York Times bestselling author of Lean In
“Improving your ability to communicate will increase your potential to have impact on the world, no matter what you do. ….the Own The Room team will show you how — and they'll make it fun.”
Reid Hoffman, Co-Founder & Chairman, LinkedIn and Co-Author, The Start-Up of You
Mikkel Kloster, Senior Coach
Own The Room's Coach Academy was an opportunity for me to pursue a dream. Deciding to do it was really a no-brainer. I thought, "what's the worst thing that can happen?" The most pessimistic answer I could come up with was:
1) I will learn a lot about communication and coaching that will help me succeed in the future.
2) I will meet some awesome people who share my dream, and thereby expand my network.
What is the best thing that could happen? Well, now I am a senior Own The Room coach and I help companies and individuals all over the world improve their communication skills.
Robin Amos Kahn, Lead Coach
I went to Coach Academy in August 2013 and it was a great opportunity to expand my coaching skills by learning from the top Own The Room coaches. I also got to know remarkable people, with all different life experiences who have one thing in common: we all love Own The Room and the work we do as coaches.
I am passionate about my work as an Own The Room coach for so many reasons. I love helping people find their voice and become more confident about themselves in their job and in their life.
Own The Room gives you the tools to become a great speaker - whether you are talking to 5 people or 5,000. It gives you confidence by gently helping you step outside of your comfort zone and feel connected to both the audience and to your authentic self. It's thrilling, really, as a coach to see what a difference you can make in people's lives every day.
If you've ever wanted to learn to be an expert communicator, there is no better way than to coach others and step into your own power as a speaker.
Try it! It worked for me and it can work for you too.